google8dd5cb911b25c052.html

Historically Significant Buildings & Sites



Calumet Park Cultural Center, 9801 Avenue G


7th & 10th Ward Streets & Sanitation Office, US-41 and Harbor Drive:

Originally LEED Gold Certified, the building lost its wind turbine "farm" (Chicago's first) when a winter storm destroyed one turbine, and the company that had produced them had gone out of business.  Lesson: New technology brings many innovations as well as new, innovative, companies, many of whom will not survive.  Invest, but invest cautiously, after rigorous research into the innovation and, most importantly, the supplier's probable ability to support your purchase.


Victory Centre Supportive Living, East 92nd Street at Burley Avenue 

With the use of recycled gypsum drywall and insulation, insulated windows that contribute to the building's energy efficiency, along with native landscaping and a bioswale rain garden, the building--erected on former industrially damaged land, has LEED Silver Certification.  Proximity to mass transit, with a Metra station one block away and a bus out front, also contribute to mobility and environmental efficiency, while requiring less automobile transportation for residents and staff.

Also has 2 sets of solar panels on the second phase and a roof-top garden.



James H. Bowen High School


CHICAGO LANDMARK BUILDING: Macias Foods -- formerly Peoples Gas South Chicago Store-by George Grant Elmslie & Herman von Holst, architects.  8935 S. Commercial Avenue Chicago.



CHICAGO LANDMARK BUILDING: CALUMET NATIONAL BANK BUILDING:  9117 South Commercial Avenue, Chicago.  Built 1910; Architect, John A. Domickson


4TH DISTRICT POLICE STATION, 103rd Street & Luela Avenue -- Solar-Thermal Water heating panels

MB FINANCIAL BANK--MORE THAN 100 YEARS IN SOUTH CHICAGO--92nd Street & Houston Avenue



Lost Marsh, Hammond, Indiana





© Kevin Murphy 2016